Thursday 28 August 2008

Piper's points on marriage

John Piper recounts preaching on John 16:33 at a wedding 25 years ago. Here, Jesus is speaking his last words to his disciples before facing his death on the cross. The verse reads:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! (KJV has Be of good cheer) I have overcome the world."

Piper outlines 3 points for the couple entering a lifelong commitment of marriage.
  1. Marriage is going to be hard
  2. Be happy
  3. God is in it; he has overcome it - he will bring you through it
As I reflect on my own marriage, and think of the many friends and acquaintances walking down the aisle this month, my prayer is that we will look to Jesus always; in trust and humility at times of difficulty, with thanksgiving at moments of joyful laughter.

You can view a Youtube clip of Piper's message in its wider context of a message entitled, "God promises Christians pain and trouble" here:

No comments: